Re: Oracle Incrementals

From: <stroup_at_grove.ops.lmsc.lockheed.com>
Date: Mon, 23 May 1994 17:16:02 GMT

In article <dmausner.1.000A01B4_at_brauntech.com>, dmausner_at_brauntech.com (Dave Mausner) writes:
In article <Cq0s42.DEL_at_butch.lmsc.lockheed.com>

stroup_at_grove.ops.lmsc.lockheed.com () writes:
>> While I like the way the Incremental exports work (since they only
>> export objects that have be updated since the last export), I would
>> like to combine this feature with the ability to eliminate specific
>> tables from the incremental even though they have be updated in the
>> interim.

>i suggest you do NOT modify the dictionary by hand since this almost always
>has some flaws. instead, read the dictionary to find out which tables you are
>interested in are modified, and construct exp statements to save them... then
>shell out and execute these statements.
>Dave Mausner, Sr Consultant, Braun Technology Group, Chicago.

The only problem I see with what you suggest is coming up with a method of determing when data in a table has been modifed, deleted or inserted since the last export of the object. We don't have the TPO option, so I can't use databases triggers to track the events, so the only option I see is to use auditing to track the events. This seems like a lot of work (and overhead) to replicate the existing functionality of the incremental export feature.

I don't know of any other data dictionary tables that track this info.

                                        judie Received on Mon May 23 1994 - 19:16:02 CEST

Original text of this message