Oracle Incrementals

From: <stroup_at_grove.ops.lmsc.lockheed.com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 1994 22:36:01 GMT

I'm planning to use the Oracle export utility (in addition to our regular backups) to provide for single-table recovery in the event a user or developer drops or empties a table by mistake (yes, it happened last week, to a production table and it took 5+ hours to restore (slow tape drives :().

While I like the way the Incremental exports work (since they only export objects that have be updated since the last export), I would like to combine this feature with the ability to eliminate specific tables from the incremental even though they have be updated in the interim.

One possibility is to update the MODIFIED column of underlying Tab$ table to fool Oracle into thinking that the table has not been modified (by resetting MODIFIED to zero). Now I'm not one to go around mucking with the SYS tables, but this seems a elegant (albeit unsupported) solution to my problem.

What I'm looking for are any comments, experiences, blackholes, flames, etc.

Start screaming now......

                                judie Received on Thu May 19 1994 - 00:36:01 CEST

Original text of this message