Re: ORACLE TECH SUPPORT. NONEXISTENT

From: Andrew McConnell <mcconnel_at_source.asset.com>
Date: 29 Apr 1994 13:26:57 -0400

In article <Cp01KC.5BD_at_nntpa.cb.att.com>, Michael J Matthews <mjm_at_atti14.atti14.attibr.att.com> wrote:
>We recently acquired ORACLE as a replacement to existing RDBMS
>It is being used in UNIX SVR4 NCR 34xx environment. I am having great
>difficulty just getting started. Primarily trying to deal with
>Oracle's bizarre terminal support scheme and Sys admin documentation
>that is confused,vague and possibly inaccurate. To make a long story short
>I placed a call into Oracle over a week ago and have
>been unable to reach a tech any of the many times I called
>(sitting on the phone for a 1/2 hour) and have received absolutely
>NO call back. At this point I feel I have been had, not to mention
>that Oracle is reneging on their support contract. We should have
>stayed with INFORMIX.
>Is this typical?

Very typical, in our experience. We have had 2 or 3 TARS open with them for 2 months. We have called and complained but it hasn't gotten us anywhere. Oracle's explanation is that they have trouble keeping anyone in the support area for very long - they move on to bigger and better things. Personally, I don't care what their excuse is - my company pays them to help me solve my problems.

One other warning, the tech support people are often wrong. One time they had me enter commands that crashed my database (and yes, the tech actually said "Oops."). Try to verify whatever they tell you.

Good luck.

Andrew McConnell             "Ford!" he said, "there's an infinite number of
Voice: (304) 594-1762      monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this
FAX:   (304) 594-3951      script for 'Hamlet' they've worked out."
mcconnel_at_source.asset.com                                    -- Arthur Dent