Re: ORACLE TECH SUPPORT. NONEXISTENT

From: Michael Nolan <nolan_at_helios.unl.edu>
Date: 29 Apr 1994 04:08:10 GMT

I tried to send this reply by e-mail, but it bounced.

In comp.databases.oracle you write:

>I placed a call into Oracle over a week ago and have
>been unable to reach a tech any of the many times I called
>(sitting on the phone for a 1/2 hour) and have received absolutely
>NO call back. At this point I feel I have been had, not to mention
>that Oracle is reneging on their support contract. We should have
>stayed with INFORMIX.

The first thing I would suggest is that you contact your Oracle salesrep, and also that you call Customer Service and request that they raise the priority of your TAR. Just calling back doesn't do that. It is probably at priority 3, raising it to 2 might get you started and it also gives you a bit of leverage towards raising it to priority 1.

>Is this typical?

It didn't used to be, but lately a week or longer seems to be about average.

I think it is because so many sites are finally upgrading to Oracle 7, and this is not a trivial task. I have at least one TAR open for three weeks now.

And yes, the documentation isn't always totally accurate and can be confusing. To make matters more interesting, some of their install procedures don't work right, either.

BTW, I'm running Oracle 7.0.15 (just moved up from 7.0.12) on an NCR 3445 and a 3430. If you'd like to call me to talk about specifics, my office phone is 402-423-1490 (the switchboard is 402-423-5050, my extension is 155.) I'm usually in the office from about 8:30 AM to 6PM CDT.

---
Michael Nolan, Sysop for the DBMS RoundTable on GEnie
nolan_at_notes.tssi.com, dbms_at_genie.geis.com
(posted from nolan_at_helios.unl.edu)