Re: orasvr hangs on HP-UX 9.04

From: Timo Salzsieder <timo_at_PROBLEM_WITH_INEWS_GATEWAY_FILE>
Date: 28 Apr 1994 07:54:27 GMT

Michael Greenberg (michael_at_mcil.comm.mot.com) wrote:

> We are running a client/server application on HP 9000 computers.
> We've recently had a problem whereby the "orasrv" program
> on the server spins its wheels and takes up most of the CPU,
> but will not respond to client tasks. In addition, "tcpctl stop"
> printed a message stating that it could not communicate with
> with the server even though it was run on the same computer as "orasvr".

> There are no messages in the log file which explain what is
> happening.

> In order to proceed we needed to kill the "orasrv" program
> and restart it. The users' programs then proceeded to communicate
> with the client.

Hi Michael,

we have a similar configuration, but using Oracle 7.0.13 on HP-UX 9.04. We have exactly the same problem like you, but have at the moment no exact solution cause the error isn't reproducable. But we have an idea concerning the timeout mode of the orasrv-program. You can set the timeout time for the orasrv using tcpctl timeout <sec>. This is useful because some users ends their sessions without leaving e.g. sqlplus with the quit or exit command. The server listen to the connection although the connection doesn't exist in real. With the timeout set you can set the time the server wait until the session is killed not clearly. By default this time is 0 which means the server wait in an endless loop that explains the painful idle-time.

If you try it, please let me know your results, cause I've wrote before, error isn't in our environment reproducable. We try it too. If there is a success I let you know.

Hope this helps, Timo.

|Timo Salzsieder    internet: timo_at_fh-konstanz.de            |
|Niederburggasse 8     voice:  +49 (0)7531 / 2 93 63         |
|78462 Konstanz, Germany                          (o o)      |