Re: how to drop a database?

From: <jl34778_at_corp02.d51.lilly.com>
Date: 26 Apr 94 17:46:37 EST

In article <Cov937.JnL_at_mozo.cc.purdue.edu>, tmh_at_staff.cc.purdue.edu (Todd Helfter) writes:

> Has anyone had experience with dropping an entire database in one fell swoop.
>
> An idiot user (me), ^c out of the dbshut procedure screwing one of the databases.
> It now doesn't recognize any of the users in the user table.
>
> Any hints would be appreciated
>
> --
> .-----------------------------.
> | Todd M. Helfter |
> | tmh_at_staff.cc.purdue.edu |
> `-----------------------------'

First, shut down the database (which may be all you really want to do, anyway) Even if you don't know any usernames and passwords, you should still be able to connect internal. The ability to be able to connect internal is granted in different ways on different platforms. Under VMS, you have to have the ORA_DBA rights identifier. Under Solaris (UNIX SVR4), you have to be in the group that was used to link oracle, usually 'dba'.

You should be able to go into SQLDBA, connect internal, and do a 'shutdown abort'.

If you really want to drop the database, just delete the database files and directories, as well as the records for that database in these special files.

VMS

	ORA_RDBMS:ORA_RDBMS_SIDS.DAT
	ORA_UTIL:DATABASE.TXT

Solaris 2.3
	/var/opt/oracle/oratab

Hope this helps.

--
Bob Swisshelm                | swisshelm_at_Lilly.com     | 317 276 5472
Eli Lilly and Company        | Lilly Corporate Center  | Indianapolis, IN 46285