Re: How to Connect Oracle7 to DB2

From: <jl34778_at_corp02.d51.lilly.com>
Date: 14 Apr 94 11:45:59 EST

In article <1103_at_dwp.la.ca.us>, hpujol_at_dwp.la.ca.us writes:

> Dear Experts:
>
> I need to connect AIX and OS/2 machines running Oracle7 with SQL*NET
> TCP/IP to our mainframe running DB2 on MVS (TCP/IP available in some way)
> and some DB2/2 on OS/2 (Netbios and TCP/IP installed).
>
> What do I need to buy in terms of Oracle products to enable transparent
> interaction between Oracle7 servers and DB2 servers. I thought I saw a
> DB2 gateway product for SQL*NET from Oracle. Someone mentioned DDCS/2 and
> MicroDecisionWare Gateway, but I don't know how they fit into this picture.
>
> Would someone please give me some advice??!!
>

> Thanks in advance,
>

> Hector Pujol
>
> L. A. Dept of Water and Power
> hpujol_at_dwp.la.ca.us

We are using a product from Oracle called SQL*Connect for DB2. It allows DB2 to participate in a SQL*Net network. On MVS, you install TCP/IP, SQL*Net, and SQL*Connect. Then, you can connect to DB2 directly using a SQL*Net connect string, or access DB2 through database links. If you are accessing DB2 from an ORACLE7 database with the distributed option, you can actually update DB2 through a database link. Note that you cannot do a 2 phase commit between ORACLE and DB2, so you can only update 1 database in a single unit of work.

Another neat thing about this product is that you can use the SQL*Plus COPY command to ship data easily from ORACLE to DB2, or from DB2 to ORACLE, just as if you were going from ORACLE to ORACLE.

This product DOES NOT allow DB2 users to connect to ORACLE. ORACLE users can read or update DB2 data, but DB2 users cannot even see ORACLE data.

Notes:

We use ACF2 to control DB2 security, including the use of secondary authorization IDs. We had to modify the 'default' security exit provide by Oracle. Oracle Corp does not support those exits, so we will have to modify it if any future release of DB2 or ACF2 cause it to break.

Oracle is moving from the 'Connect' products to 'Transparent Gateway' products. I haven't exactly figured out what that will mean. One thing that I do know is that it will require you to go through an ORACLE7 server to get to DB2, even if you only want to access DB2 data.

Hope this helps.

Bob

--
Bob Swisshelm                | swisshelm_at_Lilly.com     | 317 276 5472
Eli Lilly and Company        | Lilly Corporate Center  | Indianapolis, IN 46285