How to Connect Oracle7 to DB2

From: <acmoll_at_inetgw.fsc.ibm.com>
Date: 18 Apr 1994 13:46:29 GMT

In article <1994Apr14.114559.1_at_corp02.d51.lilly.com>, jl34778_at_corp02.d51.lilly.com writes:
|> In article <1103_at_dwp.la.ca.us>, hpujol_at_dwp.la.ca.us writes:
|> >
|> > Dear Experts:
|> >
|> > I need to connect AIX and OS/2 machines running Oracle7 with SQL*NET
|> > TCP/IP to our mainframe running DB2 on MVS (TCP/IP available in some way)
|> > and some DB2/2 on OS/2 (Netbios and TCP/IP installed).

 ... stuff deleted

|> We are using a product from Oracle called SQL*Connect for DB2. It allows DB2 to
|> participate in a SQL*Net network.

... more stuff deleted

|> Another neat thing about this product is that you can use the SQL*Plus COPY
|> command to ship data easily from ORACLE to DB2, or from DB2 to ORACLE, just as
|> if you were going from ORACLE to ORACLE.

 ... yet even more stuff deleted

|> Bob
|> --
|> Bob Swisshelm | swisshelm_at_Lilly.com | 317 276 5472
|> Eli Lilly and Company | Lilly Corporate Center | Indianapolis, IN 46285

  We're looking at having our Oracle application co-exist with our DB/2 application, and this SQL*Connect product looks promising. Our biggest question is NULL handling. DB/2 for us is running under VM, and there is no such thing as a NULL value, just a blank value. We don't yet have documentation for SQL*Connect, so I was hoping for some help from the net.

  Sure, we can (and have) write some conversion programs that convert blanks to NULL's, but this seems like an unnecessary step that substantially complicates things. For example, how does the SQL*Plus COPY command translate NULLs? What rules does it use?

Thanks,
Drew Moll
Loral Federal Systems
Voice Phone: (301) 640-5716
acmoll_at_vnet.ibm.com Received on Mon Apr 18 1994 - 15:46:29 CEST

Original text of this message