Re: SQL*Net/TCP IP problems

From: Karel Sprenger <ks_at_ic.uva.nl>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 1994 12:24:03

In article <940406200137_at_boston.com> Au Bon Pain (Michael Georgy) writes:

>I have a group of users that access Oracle 7.0.15 sitting >on a Sun Sparc via their PCs using SQL*Net TCP/IP.

>I am having a problem, when the PC crash or get shut off, the oracle
>orasrv doesn't clear the PC connection, I have to manually use kill -9
>in unix after finding out which connection. The orasrv/SQL*Net TCP that
>is running on the server is the latest verion I beleive it is
>ver 1.7.x.x.

>Can anyone tell me a way to have oracle cleans the connection >automatically. I tried several oracle support suggestions and they don't work.

>Thanks.
>michael_at_boston.com

Earlier this year this same problem weas discussed. In article <2heoov$dhs_at_esosun.css.gov> jean_at_gso.saic.com (Jean Anderson) wrote:
:
:> On our system we have encountered some problems with SQL*Net daemon
:> processes on the run !
:
:We have experienced similar problems on Sun 4 if the client dies while
:trying to connect to the database. As I understand it, orasrv hangs because
:a listener routes processes to orasrv. It listens to one connect request at
:a time in exclusive mode. If a process dies before the connection goes
:through, sql*net doesn't realize the process died; it waits forever doing
:network reads (and massively accumulating time).
:
:A timeout option lets you tell sql*net to wait for a specified number of
:seconds rather than forever (see $ORACLE_HOME/tcp/doc/README.doc). I usually
:set it to 30 seconds like this (orasrv version 1.2.7.3.1)
:
: tcpctl timeout 30
:
:I also do a
:
: tcpctl debug
:
:which outputs additional info to the tcp log that helps identify the
:problem clients.
:

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Karel

| Karel Sprenger                              | Email: ks_at_ic.uva.nl    |
| Informatiseringscentrum                     | phone: +31-20-525 2302 |
| Universiteit van Amsterdam                  |        +31-20-525 2741 |
| Turfdraagsterpad 9, NL-1012 XT AMSTERDAM | fax : +31-20-525 2084 | | *** PGP Public Key available on request *** | home : +31-20-675 0989 | Received on Thu Apr 07 1994 - 12:24:03 CEST

Original text of this message