Re: SQL*Net/TCP IP problems

From: Lee E Parsons <lparsons_at_world.std.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 1994 15:49:54 GMT

michael_at_boston.com writes:

>I am having a problem, when the PC crash or get shut off, the oracle
>orasrv doesn't clear the PC connection, I have to manually use kill -9
>in unix after finding out which connection. The orasrv/SQL*Net TCP that
>is running on the server is the latest verion I beleive it is
>ver 1.7.x.x.

I'm fighting a version of this problem right now. Unfortunately there aren't many good answers.

One option for you may be to look at th TCP KEEPALIVE timers. If you look now you'll probably find that your processes are being killed in ~2hours. That is howlong they are set for out of the box. We are turning down the kernal variables that control this option to something like 15 minutes.

If you dont like this option you could just ignore them. As long as the processes aren't running up CPU cyles or have any wierd locks on the payroll table they should be harmless. And if they are acruing CPU time KEEPALIVE wont affect them anyway.

I'm looking into a BETA version of Sqlnet 2.1. It has a feature called 'DEADMAN CONNECTION DETECTION" that looks promising.

--
Regards,

Lee E. Parsons
Systems Oracle DBA	 			lparsons_at_world.std.com