Re: >Oracle's future

From: Richard Finkelstein <rfinkel_at_infochi.com>
Date: 29 Mar 1994 19:21:07 -0500

Hi Ken.

What you say may be true but it does not seem to be borne out in real-life situations. In my seminars I often ask what type of performance results organizations have been witnessing when moving from O6 to O7. Most report to major differences. Some reported degradation others some performance increase. Generally the levels are not that significant though on some platforms there have been reports of substantial degradation and in some cases - especially when using the cost-based optimizer - there has also been very poor results.

Given this situation, I would probably guess that a well tuned O7 can provide some degree of performance improvement but no where near the levels that the TPC benchmarks would indicate. However, I would be interested in talking to any customers that you know of that have seen significant performance increases when moving to O7.

Thanks for your comments on this subject.

  • Rich
    --
    Richard Finkelstein Voice: 312-549-8325 Performance Computing, Inc. Fax: 312-549-4824 Chicago, IL Mail: rfinkel_at_infochi.com