Re: DEBUG_MESSAGE('')

From: Doug Hewko <doug.hewko_at_synapse.org>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 94 11:51:00 -0500

SC´Steve Corbett writes...

SC´me thinks it was calling a procedure from within the form itself :)
  ´   (or a referenced procedure)
  ´ - was this form actually running in production?
  ´   and was it the corresponding source code?

Actually, upon further investigation, I did discover that it was a procedure. (A rather ingenious one too I might add.) The reason I had finding it was that SQL*FORMS does not consistently alphabeticalize the procedures. (It alphabetically arranges some, but not all.) The procedure was one of the ones that was not alphabeticalized.

The form is running in production. Because SQL*FORMS version 3.0 does not tell you when procedures are being activated (a big deficiency in my opinion), the programmer created a global variable called 'global.debug'. When you want debug the program, you would set that variable to "true". In every procedure, there is a corresponding "DEBUG_MESSAGE('In this procedure')". Finally, there was a DEBUG_MESSAGE procedure which took the "message" and displayed it only if the global.debug variable was set to true.

               e-mail: Doug.Hewko_at_Synapse.org

---
 þ 1st 1.11 #574 þ Programmers do it top down.