Re: ODBC Drivers For Oracle7

From: Robert J. McCallister <rjmac_at_crl.com>
Date: 21 Mar 1994 20:56:16 -0800

Paul Singleton (paul_at_cs.keele.ac.uk) wrote:
:*From article <1994Mar19.200850.12406_at_oracle.us.oracle.com>, by skanga_at_us.oracle.com (Shiraz Kanga):
:*...
:*> And in terms of performance, have you ever seen what ODBC does when you do some
:*> simple queries. Take a look - you may be surprised.
:*>
:*> Like in most things - you get what you pay for with ODBC.

:*Please can somone clarify: is the poor ODBC performance implied by these
:*comments inherent in the specification of the (vendor-independent)
:*interface, or just a characteristic of available drivers?
:*----
:* __ __ Paul Singleton (Dr) JANET: paul_at_uk.ac.keele.cs
:* |__) (__ Computer Science Dept. other: paul_at_cs.keele.ac.uk
:* | . __). Keele University, Newcastle, tel: +44 (0)782 583477
:* Staffs ST5 5BG, ENGLAND fax: +44 (0)782 713082

My experiences with the ODBC drivers for Oracle 6, we have not got Oracle 7 up and running yet( that is another issue ) is the poor performance is due to the available drivers on the market, which is inherent to the specification of the interface.

It is obvious to me that the specifications were written by a committee and designed by a group of bureaucats that wanted to sell another software product that would "perform better". Why else would it take the amount of time it does to do a very simple query on a database when the application is running on a high speed pc ( 486 DX33 ) attached to a RISC platform on a relatively small network ( less than 20 nodes on the net )?

Alias are the Bill Gates and Larry Ellisons roll out something we cannot live without?????????

|  Robert J. McCallister    |                                     |
|  rjmac_at_crl.com            |        THIS SPACE AVAILABLE         |
| These opinions are only   |				          |
| mine and mine only.       |  Tilde: That little squiggly line.  |