Re: Forms4: Cursor or Record Group?

From: Gary John Walker <gjwalker_at_gjw1992.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 1994 17:43:53 +0000

In article <764115560snz_at_gjw1992.demon.co.uk> I said:

> In Forms 4, ...

> (note: the record group problem was that even
> with using a populate_with_query in a trigger, the forms item
> used in a 'where' clause remained constant after the first time
> used, tho rows returned were 'refreshed' on every call so it
> wasn't simply me seeing old values in the returned record group.

  Though I got around the problem here, I now come up against   the same thing again.

  A second item in a block has a many to many relationship with   the block's first item. So there's a link table making this   into two one-many relationships.

  The first item can be filled from selecting from its own LOV.   No problem.

  But the choices for the next item should be restricted by what   was selected in the first item. However, no way can I get   a record group for an LOV to fill in a new item value for the   WHERE clause in its query: even doing the populate_with_query   built-in. Every time it comes back with rows that satisfy the   initial value of item one.

  So, if the user reselects the first item - I'm stuck at trying   to build up a new LOV based on the new value.

  Any obvious answers?

  LOVs seem to 'want' a static select statement.

  SunOs 4.1.3 btw.

          Gary John Walker     gjwalker_at_gjw1992.demon.co.uk