Re: Large Table Migration to another m/c

From: Shiraz Kanga <skanga_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 1994 20:12:24 GMT

In article <CMr3M8.Dx8_at_shakti.ncst.ernet.in> hemant_at_shakti.ncst.ernet.in (STOCKHOLDING CORPORATION OF INDIA LTD.) writes:

>We have a table having in excess of 20million rows. We expect that the
>export file will exceed 2GB.
>Our current implementation is Oracle 6.0.33 on DG/UX 5.4.2 on an Aviion. (M88K)
>Since the machine does not support files in excess of 2GB we shall not
>be able to export the table.
>
>To circumvent the problem, we are currently exporting the table to a
>pipe-file from which we are doing a compressed write to disk-file, whereby
>the disk file is about 400MB.
>
>However, we now want to move the table to another machine. We undestand
>that a file compressed on one OS and chip cannot be uncompressed on
>another Unix and chip (which will be the case).
>
>Could you please suggest alternatives ?

Well the obvious solution would be to use a portable (and reliable) compresion utility and I believe there are several out there like maybe GNU's gzip stuff.

And there are also other options like not doing a full export but breaking it up into pieces (by user or by tablespace, etc) and moving each chunk separately onto the new machine. That way you may not need to compress at all.

Hope this helps

Shiraz Kanga
skanga_at_oracle.com

--
Shiraz Kanga (skanga_at_oracle.com) Tel: (415)506-5412 Fax: (415)506-7822
Analyst -- Desktop Netware Group - Worldwide Technical Support - 3OP11