Re: ODBC Drivers For Oracle7

From: Matthew B. Huff <mhuff_at_zilker.net>
Date: 20 Mar 1994 00:16:29 -0600

In article <1994Mar19.200850.12406_at_oracle.us.oracle.com> skanga_at_us.oracle.com (Shiraz Kanga) writes:

>3) Glue doen not have ODBC drivers. Glue does not need ODBC drivers.
>Glue surpasses ODBC by huge margins.

Having only heard minute details about Oracle Glue, I am not capable of fully discussing the technical merits of ODBC versus Glue. However even if, and I mean a big IF, Oracle Glue is the absolute best interface to connect to Oracle, ODBC can still be a winning product. Remember, not everyone uses Oracle. If my app (using ODBC) can connect to any ODBC compliant system, this can be an overwhelming advantage.

I know that ODBC is far from perfect, but the idea of ODBC is dead on. Today, with Transact/SQL (Sybase) and Oracle's procedural SQL fairly different, there is no driving force to make them consistant. However if the users demand ODBC, and ODBC drives sql backends to adopt SAG, etc... the user wins. Received on Sun Mar 20 1994 - 07:16:29 CET

Original text of this message