Followup: HP BLS & Oracle V7 network problems - fixed sortof

From: <smithkl_at_cpva.saic.com>
Date: 17 Mar 94 10:55:18 PST

In article <1994Mar15.091629.18003_at_cpva>, smithkl_at_cpva.saic.com writes:
> I am having a problem configuring Oracle V7.0 to run under HP BLS 9.09.
> The problem comes when trying to connect across the network to the database.
> The application is getting an ORA-06136: NETTCP error during connection
> handshake. The orasrv.log file shows the CONNECT request from "host",
> then shows Error while processing request from host "host":, Error: unable
> to read network string (errno=239) bytes=0 err=param. Errno 239 is
> "connection refused". We are thinking that we may need to use the
> SQL*NET V2 software, but aren't sure whether orasrv should be run or
> whether we should use tcptlnsr.
>
> Kevin Smith
> smithkl_at_cpva.saic.com

Just a followup for those interested...With some help, I was able to get orasrv working across the net. You need to run it without the setuid bit (contrary to what it says in the manual) but still need to run it as root. We start it up in the /etc/rc file when we start up the DB. This seems to be specific to HP BLS 9.0+. Sqlplus works now so thats good, but the applications program that I have fails with an Oracle error 01009 - Missing mandatory parameter. I was thinking that the query was too big when it came down to sending it across the net, but sqlplus handled the exact same query fine. Is there something different with oparse() when you go across the net? Thanks for any and all help.

Kevin Smith
smithkl_at_cpva.saic.com   Received on Thu Mar 17 1994 - 19:55:18 CET

Original text of this message