Re: How Large is a BIG Relational DB

From: Jim Burks <jburks_at_promus.com>
Date: 14 Mar 1994 14:19:34 GMT

In article <2lpuar$ask_at_infochi.com> rfinkel_at_infochi.com (Richard Finkelstein) writes:
> ... Informix generally
>delivers reasonable technology, but in this area I think they have
>probably taken to trying to match the hype that is usually associated with
>Oracle and Sybase's marketing groups.

I most politely beg to differ. We have a 40 GB DSS (decision support) database on Informix 4.10 using 16-way SMP multiprocessor machines. Other sites have up to 100 GB on current technology. I have looked over the DSA (Dynamic Server Architecture) in versions 6.0 and higher, seen PDQ (Parallel Data Query) demoed, and attended several presentations on the new architecture. I am certain that it will carry Informix to well beyond 200 GB.

In short, it's not just marketing hype. They're going to deliver it later this year.

Jim Burks jburks_at_promus.com The Promus Companies
Memphis, Tennessee, USA Received on Mon Mar 14 1994 - 15:19:34 CET

Original text of this message