Re: How Large is a BIG Relational DB

From: Richard Finkelstein <rfinkel_at_infochi.com>
Date: 11 Mar 1994 09:13:47 -0500

One other thing I would like to mention in regards to Informix Online 7. It is a new product and for that reason alone I would not experiment with it for an application of the size you are discussing. The risks would be very high. In regards to the PDQ capability, there is very little known at this time about its characteristics, behavior, and bottlenecks. I think that it will take some time to understand the full nature of its capabilities and weaknesses. My guess there are considerable problems, especially when trying to parallize OLTP transactions with DSS transactions. At this point it is too early to tell. Informix generally delivers reasonable technology, but in this area I think they have probably taken to trying to match the hype that is usually associated with Oracle and Sybase's marketing groups.

  • Rich
    --
    Richard Finkelstein Voice: 312-549-8325 Performance Computing, Inc. Fax: 312-549-4824 Chicago, IL Mail: rfinkel_at_infochi.com