Re: export/import directly from tape drive? (UNIX)

From: Lee E Parsons <lparsons_at_world.std.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 1994 15:45:17 GMT

hannigan_at_cs.ualberta.ca (Barry Hannigan; EdTel) writes:
>ag831_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Denis Langlais) writes:
>>mellis_at_ramcad.pica.army.mil (Mark Ellis) says:

>>>Anyone have any tips/techniques on doing exports/imports directly
>>>to & from a DAT tape drive under UNIX?
>>>

>>Basically export with file=/dev/rmt/xxxyyyzzz
>
>you would be advised not to. you will be unable to import from tape. in order
>to retrieve information from a tape exported export, you must copy the tape to
>disk and then import from the copy. also, the file cannot be named FOO as imp
>will whine about not being able to find file FOO.dmp

I have never had trouble importing from file=/dev/rmt/xxxyyyzzz. actually I'm doing it right now.

Are you saying that on hpux you cant import unless your file is named xyz.dmp. Sounds broke to me. even if this is the case, you should be able to link /dev/rmt/xxxyyyzzz to /dev/rmt/export.dmp

--
Regards,

Lee E. Parsons
Systems Oracle DBA	 			lparsons_at_world.std.com