Re: export/import directly from tape drive? (UNIX)

From: Denis Langlais <ag831_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 1994 02:32:05 GMT

In a previous article, mellis_at_ramcad.pica.army.mil (Mark Ellis) says:

>Anyone have any tips/techniques on doing exports/imports directly
>to & from a DAT tape drive under UNIX?
>
>The export files are now too big (even with on-the-fly compression).
>We do UNIX filesystem backups to tape nightly, but an export would be
>nice as well in case we have to migrate to another system for
>disaster recovery.
>
>System: Oracle 7 on Hewlett-Packard I50 (HP/UX 9.0)

Basically export with file=/dev/rmt/xxxyyyzzz

or whatever the device address of your tape drive is.

Your buffer should be high
and volsize set to whatever your DAT tape capacity (Probably 8Gigs)

To check all your options type:

exp help=y
OR
imp help=y Received on Wed Mar 02 1994 - 03:32:05 CET

Original text of this message