Re: export/import directly from tape drive? (UNIX)

From: Philip C. Blain <blain_at_shell.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 1994 20:04:03 GMT

   From: u4imcehb_at_apollo.wes.army.mil (Ernest Boswell)    Date: 28 Feb 1994 14:54:10 GMT

   Mark Ellis (mellis_at_ramcad.pica.army.mil) wrote:
: Anyone have any tips/techniques on doing exports/imports directly
: to & from a DAT tape drive under UNIX?

   I don't know if this would work, but it might be worth a try.

     Read from/write to your tape into/from a pipe (or named pipe) and
     do your import/export to/from the pipe.
   True, it's not directly to/from the tape, but it's a reasonable facsimile    thereof.

I have used tape devices directly for both import and export with Oracle. We have had no problems. Recovery was not a problem. To use a tape device all you have to do is specify /dev/rst0 (or whichever) for the file name. I usually export to disk just because it is faster for import and export (you are not limited by the tape device then, of course you have to have the disk space). Incremental exports can be quite nice as well.

Thanks, -phil-

P.s. Our platforms are Sun (SunOS 4.1.x), Sun (Solaris 2.x), and HP 700s. Received on Thu Mar 03 1994 - 21:04:03 CET

Original text of this message