Re: Help - "Production" and "Test" databases

From: Michael Stowe <Michael.Stowe_at_f573.n115.z1.fidonet.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 94 13:07:01 -0600

  • Quoting P0070623_at_Oxford-Brookes.Ac.Uk to All dated 02-22-94 ***
    > I'm not a DBA so..
    > but I can't imagine doing it any other way than with
    > separate db instances.

no no no NO NO NO!

Not only is this generally a bad idea, but it is not supported on a Novell platform. The best way to accomplish this --
> : For our working environment, I need to set up the database and
> : applications so that we have two or three "copies" of the database,
> : one for testing, one for training, and one for production.
is to simply set up three sets of table owners, and run the DDL scripts for all three. Logging on as the appropriate table owners will provide independent access for each set of table structures and data.

If it is a requirement that the users log on as somebody other than the table owners, then private synonym scripts should be set up to point them to the appropriate tables. Received on Wed Feb 23 1994 - 20:07:01 CET

Original text of this message