Re: Help - "Production" and "Test" databases

From: Steve Corbett <p0070623_at_oxford-brookes.ac.uk>
Date: 23 Feb 1994 04:59:05 -0600

Paul Moore (pmoore_at_cix.compulink.co.uk) wrote:
: I am looking for some help in setting up an Oracle system. We are
: running Oracle 7 on DOS/Windows, under Novell Netware 3.12. Our
: applications are to be developed in Oracle Forms, Report Writer,
: and SQL Plus.

: For our working environment, I need to set up the database and
: applications so that we have two or three "copies" of the database,
: one for testing, one for training, and one for production.

: The application code should be the same for all three environments,
: and the user should be able to specify at logon (connect) time which
: region he or she wants access to.

: As I understand things, under Novell I can only have a single
: database instance (and I'd probably only want one anyway). I
: therefore need to set this up within a single database.

We have separate instances for development (inc testing)

                               user training (& final testing)
                               production.
I'm not a DBA so..
                but I can't imagine doing it any other way than with
separate db instances. I'd also suggest different login for training, production etc (in production each user has there own logon, in training you only need an id for each 'role' for simulation) - otherwise some users will get confused about which database there on and find they have entered a whole lot of data only to realise they were on the training system!
you need to be clear about testing versus training - you did not mention development?
what about when you want to upgrade the oracle toolkit? - if you have separate instances you can do that for the dev.instance and see how it goes while production chugs merrily along. I *strongly* recommend if you are running packages to keep them in a separate instance to in-house developments - we did not do this and are now paying the price. (we run Oracle Financials which is only supported on particular versions of the Oracle toolkit - we develop our own apps, find a bug, Oracle say fixed in next ver, but we can't upgrade because the package is not supported on later ver - catch 22)
--
Steve Corbett.                    vvv
                                 [. .]   "just one person's opinion"