How do I time out a Forms user?

From: Jennifer R. Amon <bamon_at_ocvaxc.cc.oberlin.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 1994 16:07:57 -0500

Here's what I want to do:

The user is allowed to log on for on-line course registration for a maximum of one half hour at a time, with enforced intervals of 1 hour between sessions. These time values are stored in the database so that they may be modified if needed.

I know that with forms v4 I can set up timers to handle this. But, I'm working on a VAX/VMS platform, writing for the lowest common denominator, which is in this case vt100 terminal emulation.

If I work in forms v4 in my Mac development enviroment, what's involved in getting the finished product from my Mac to my VAX. Will I be able to do this? Will the Mac created form port to VMS properly, even if the VMS version is still beta?

When is the 4.0.12 VMS version going to be ready? Will it be a released version or another beta version?

If I work in forms v3, is there a way to do something at pre-form time to set up an interrupt for x minutes later, and then, is there a way to catch that interrupt.

I thought about just determining a warn_time and kill_time in pre-form and then with the press of each function_key, checking that time against the current time and doing the appropriate action.

The Problem: This would NOT interrupt the user who was not doing

              anything.

              I need to blow away the user who fell asleep, or worse,
              who walked away in the middle of a session.

A Side Issue: I would prefer to not have the overhead of a time_check
              trigger action on every key pressed. Can I set up some
              kind of asynchronous signal process that will only come
              back to the user when he is down to his last 5 minutes?

Any and all help would be much appreciated.

Jennifer R. Amon            PHONE: (216) 775-6987
Houck Computing Center        FAX: (216) 775-8573
Oberlin College
Oberlin, OH 44074        INTERNET: bamon_at_ocvaxc.cc.oberlin.edu