DBMS criteria and functionality

From: BATALLER <BATALLER_at_MACC.WISC.EDU>
Date: 25 Jan 1994 17:54:25 GMT

DBMS Questions

Basically we are trying to evaluate UNIX based DBMS's and we are having trouble deciphering between all the reviews and company claims about the DBMS's. I believe I have realized that my expectations were a bit high for the current array of products. For instance: I was hoping that we could limit access to fields of a DB based on group rights; I was hoping that we could use the OS user groups to identify db user groups; I was hoping that they would have loadbalancing  facilities in the event a server was too full it would route them to one less busy; I was hoping that there would be extensive central administration facilities for distributed systems(i.e. adding a user at one place could add them to all necessary systems); etc...

I was wondering if anyone could try and give me their understanding, opinion, or experiences with any of the topics I list below, I am particularly interested in Sybase, Oracle Informix, DB/2, and Ingres...
I am curions about how well these things are addressed or implemented, are they important? etc...

Thanks for you time and consideration.

        + Security

- What are c2 and b1 security levels..
- What is role based security
- Audit trails...
- How are they stored?
- Can one get reports? + Functions
- Can scheduling be done? That is, can a
stored procedure or trigger go off according to date and time?
+ Data Integrity - Declarative - Referential + Access
- Can one limit read and write access according to:
- group - user - field - table - database
+ DBA Administrative Tools
- Centralizaton of Administration for multiple
distributed servers + Support + Connectivity
- routing in the event that a particular
server or network is down could seemlessly give access to other duplicate databases
Capacity
- load balancing
- Maximum number of concurrent users Standards
- Ansi level 1
- Ansi level 2
- Ansi level 3