Re: DBMS criteria and functionality

From: Judy Ko -- Consultant <judy_at_gftpd-mail.citicorp.com>
Date: 26 Jan 1994 20:52:30 GMT

I guess I can put some input for Oracle V7. BATALLER (BATALLER_at_MACC.WISC.EDU) wrote:
> + Security
> - What are c2 and b1 security levels..
I believer the basic Oracle is c2 and Trusted Oracle is b1. Trusted Oracle required different license.

> - What is role based security
Traditionally, there are 5 different sets of privileges, DBA, resources, connect, export/import and 1 more (forgot!). Since V6 you can further grant and revoke privileges within the set.

> - Audit trails...
> - How are they stored?
> - Can one get reports?
Audit information is stored in tables and you can build your own reports using SQLPLUS or Sql-reportwriter or whatever tools you like.

> + Functions
> - Can scheduling be done? That is, can a
> stored procedure or trigger go off according
> to date and time?
There is no event scheduler. The only function that is available with automatic refresh capability is "snapshot" in V7.

> 	+ Data Integrity
> 	       - Declarative

> - Referential
V7 supports full set of data integrity rules both on column and table
levels. Primary Key, Foreign Key, check, NULL/NOT NULL, Unique keys ....

> + Access
> - Can one limit read and write access according to:
> - group
> - user
> - field
> - table
> - database
Sort of. You can use veiw to get around read access but write access requires programming effort.

> + DBA Administrative Tools
> - Centralizaton of Administration for multiple
> distributed servers
DBA monitor only monitor a particalar instance of database, not multiple instances.

> + Support

Support is average. I subscribe standard support and was given a non 800 number to call. They just started the dial-in bulletin board service. But still pretty costly to dial long distant.

> + Connectivity
> - routing in the event that a particular
> server or network is down could seemlessly
> give access to other duplicate databases
You can bring up different the mirror database instances. It not effortless but it's not difficult.

> Capacity
> - load balancing

> 		- Maximum number of concurrent users

> Standards