Re: How does Oracle 7 run on a PC/Netware LAN

From: David Colello <dcolello_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 1994 20:43:08 GMT

In <Jan.5.14.28.24.1994.2133_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu>, holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu (Richard D Holowczak) writes:
>dcolello_at_oracle.com (David Colello) writes:
>
>>In <Jan.5.10.36.14.1994.21257_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu>, holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu (Richard D Holowczak) writes:
>>>harv_at_cis.ksu.edu (Harvard Townsend) writes:
>>>

>>ORACLE7 for OS/2 has been available since last May/June, and ORACLE7 for NT
>> has just gone production and is now shipping.

>>ORACLE7 for OS/2 comes in 2 flavors: Netware Edition (with SQL*Net SPX) and
>> Lan Server Edition (with SQL*Net NetBIOS).
>>ORACLE7 for NT comes with SQL*Net TCP/IP and SQL*Net Named Pipes.
>
> So if I get the Netware NLM with distributed option and a
> copy of the OS/2 server (Netware ed.) also with distributed
> option, can I then create a distributed DB between these
> on a Netware LAN ?

Absolutely.
One note: ORACLE7 on OS/2 ships w/ SQL*Net v1, so you'll need   to run v1 on Netware as well.

> Also, does the OS/2 version require a dedicated machine?

No.

> Can I load it up onto my OS/2 2.1 workstation and use
> tools against it locally ?

Yes. You can run forms 3, menu 5, reportwriter, etc... for OS/2 on the same   machine as the database and connect to that database. You can run 16-bit   and 32-bit OCI or Pro*C apps vs. the database as well. In addition, if   you get a product called SQL*VDM, you can run Windows programs [like the   CDE tools] in win-os/2 on the same machine as the database.

Also, there is a standalone ORACLE7 Database for OS/2 product that is the   same as the ORACLE7 Server for OS/2 product, except without the SQL*Net   drivers and listeners.

>Thanks
>
>Rich H.
>Rutgers U.

Dave Colello
dcolello_at_oracle.com

The views expressed here are my own and not my employer's. Received on Wed Jan 05 1994 - 21:43:08 CET

Original text of this message