Re: How does Oracle 7 run on a PC/Netware LAN

From: David Colello <dcolello_at_oracle.com>
Date: 5 Jan 94 17:49:04 GMT

In <Jan.5.10.36.14.1994.21257_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu>, holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu (Richard D Holowczak) writes:
>harv_at_cis.ksu.edu (Harvard Townsend) writes:
>
>>I need to understand how Oracle 7 works on a PC network running Netware
>>3.12 before making the plunge... My experience has only been with Oracle
>>5.1B tools running on a PC and accessing an Oracle 5 server on a Unix
>>host using FTP Software's TCP/IP kernel - quite a few years ago.

>>Can the Oracle dbase server run on the netware server? In other words,
>>does Oracle provide NLM(s) to handle the requests coming from Oracle
>>tools running on the PC clients? Or does the Oracle server reside on a
>>client PC on the network? Or can it be either or both (both meaning
>>having 2 databases on the network - one on the server and another on a
>>client)?
>
> Oracle 7 does indeed run on the Netware server as an NLM.
> Actually, it is a few NLMs to control the RDBMS and one which
> is the SQL*Net listener.
>
> The only "PC" versions of Oracle 7 would be running on OS/2
> or possible Windows NT but I don't think either is available.

ORACLE7 for OS/2 has been available since last May/June, and ORACLE7 for NT   has just gone production and is now shipping.

ORACLE7 for OS/2 comes in 2 flavors: Netware Edition (with SQL*Net SPX) and   Lan Server Edition (with SQL*Net NetBIOS). ORACLE7 for NT comes with SQL*Net TCP/IP and SQL*Net Named Pipes.

Dave Colello
dcolello_at_oracle.com

The views expressed here are my own and not my employer's. Received on Wed Jan 05 1994 - 18:49:04 CET

Original text of this message