Re: How does Oracle 7 run on a PC/Netware LAN

From: Richard D Holowczak <holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu>
Date: 5 Jan 94 15:36:14 GMT

harv_at_cis.ksu.edu (Harvard Townsend) writes:

>I need to understand how Oracle 7 works on a PC network running Netware
>3.12 before making the plunge... My experience has only been with Oracle
>5.1B tools running on a PC and accessing an Oracle 5 server on a Unix
>host using FTP Software's TCP/IP kernel - quite a few years ago.

>Can the Oracle dbase server run on the netware server? In other words,
>does Oracle provide NLM(s) to handle the requests coming from Oracle
>tools running on the PC clients? Or does the Oracle server reside on a
>client PC on the network? Or can it be either or both (both meaning
>having 2 databases on the network - one on the server and another on a
>client)?

       Oracle 7 does indeed run on the Netware server as an NLM.
       Actually, it is a few NLMs to control the RDBMS and one which
       is the SQL*Net listener.

       The only "PC" versions of Oracle 7 would be running on OS/2
       or possible Windows NT but I don't think either is available.

>For Oracle Tool access from client PCs to the Oracle dbase server,
>does SQL*Net just use the Netware stack to communicate over the network
>(IPX? ODI? NDIS?). Thanks for any enlightenment you can offer...

     Yes indeed. Since Netware speaks IPX/SPX, simply use the
     client software that comes with Netware to set up an IPX/SPX
     protocol stack with the server.  I'm using the ODI stuff now
     and it seems to work well.

     On top of that, you can run SQL*Net for DOS, the IPX/SPX version.
     The program file name is:  SQLSPX.EXE   as opposed to SQLTCP.EXE
     which is what you probably used before.   Both MS-DOS and MS-Windows
     versions of SQL*Net client software come with Oracle 7 for Netware.

     Note that not much has changed since your v5 setup described
     above.  The tools run on the client PC and talk to some
     server (Unix or Netware) via the approporiate SQL*Net driver.

     If you'd like any additional info (setup files etc.) just e-mail me.
     (BTW, make sure your server is up to the task . . .)

Rich Holowczak
Rutgers University
holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu Received on Wed Jan 05 1994 - 16:36:14 CET

Original text of this message