Re: Open letter to software developpers.

From: Heikki Rissanen <rissahe1_at_news.ougf.fi>
Date: 8 Dec 1993 16:14:25 +0200

Michel Lalonde (mla_at_132.203.6.11) wrote:
: Recently I tried to installed SQL*Forms 4.0 and the installation scripts
: for the creation of the database tables bugged. I finaly found that
: there was an instruction that tried to INSERT a value '31-AUG-93'
: into a DATE element. That was the bug... we work in french with a
: different NLS_DATE_FORMAT.
: I know other poeple who had the same problem trying to load demos.
: They had to modify the scripts.
: It should be a common practice for all developpers to insert such
: values in a way that is compatible with all environnement. In the
: exemple above a TO_DATE function should have been used.
: Thanks for the future ...

I couldn't agree more, but since a great deal of development comes from US, I am not expecting much approvement. About all other nationalities handle these things better, because they face the same problems.

Regards, Hessu

Heikki Rissanen, United Papermills, Rauma, Finland
Email: heikki.rissanen_at_ra.upm.tietotie.mailnet.fi