Open letter to software developpers.

From: Michel Lalonde <mla_at_132.203.6.11>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1993 20:55:00 GMT

Recently I tried to installed SQL*Forms 4.0 and the installation scripts for the creation of the database tables bugged. I finaly found that there was an instruction that tried to INSERT a value '31-AUG-93' into a DATE element. That was the bug... we work in french with a different NLS_DATE_FORMAT.
I know other poeple who had the same problem trying to load demos. They had to modify the scripts.
It should be a common practice for all developpers to insert such values in a way that is compatible with all environnement. In the exemple above a TO_DATE function should have been used. Thanks for the future ...

Michel Lalonde                  Tel: (418) 656-3632
Centre de Traitement            Fax: (418) 656-7305
    de l'Information       Internet: MLALONDE_at_CTI.ULAVAL.CA
Universite Laval
Ste-Foy, Quebec, Canada
G1K 7P4