Re: Gupta vs. Powerbuilder or VB

From: Qing Yin <umyin_at_ccu.umanitoba.ca>
Date: 2 Dec 1993 15:35:32 GMT

In article <jkyserCHECuH.13p_at_netcom.com> jkyser_at_netcom.com (Jeff Kyser) writes:
>umyin_at_ccu.umanitoba.ca (Qing Yin) writes:
>
>>The real issue is that PB needs the backend database at all for the extended
>>attribute. When version 3.0 comes out with built in Watcom SQL server, they
>>are saying that now you can program both at work (with Sybase for example)
>>and at home (with the built in Watcom.) I guess what they didn't tell you
>>is that, yes, you can do it as long as you don't use extended attributes.
>
>That's not the case. Version 3.0 is out, with Watcom SQL, and extended
>attibutes are supported in Watcom as well as SQL Server. The concept behind

I didn't get myself understood. My point is that the programmer may want to create the same db structure in two databases (on two machines), one in Sybase on Sun (for everyday work), the other on a laptop (for work at home or travel or demo or backup). Since there's a transaction object in between PB and backend database, PowerBuilder should work the same with either db (suppose no triggers, stored procs are involved.) But now the extended attributes are in the db, it's not easy for the programmer to swith to a different machine when writing the application. In fact, Watcom SQL is so bad as far as the SQL is concerned. You need to quote table and column names in the SQL. That's just not acceptable for us Sybase programmers (and maybe for anyone who use a variation of ANSI SQL.)

--

Vincent Q. Yin
umyin_at_ccu.umanitoba.ca