Re: Oracle v7, ODBC, and VB

From: Dave Mausner <dlm_at_elcky>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1993 23:38:37 GMT

In article <2bmmma$ne6_at_panix.com> rryan_at_panix.com (Rob Ryan) writes:

>In <931108121510_at_dlpc030.dlogics.com> dlm@elcky (Dave Mausner) writes:
>
>>>I would like to avoid using ODBC, if possible.
>>
>>cannot imagine why, since it works and adds almost no overhead.
>
>Tell us your secret, please. [...]
>What's your configuration?

front end: MS visual c++
back end: Q+E ODBC for Oracle

	  SQL*Net for Windows 1.1.7.5
	  FTP PC/TCP 2.2
host:	  VMS 5.5-2
	  Oracle 6.0.35 and 7.0.15
	  SQL*Net for VMS (Multinet) 1.2.9.6

the critical piece is the selection of ODBC implementation. Q+E is the best we have seen, so far. also, your choice of buffering schemes will have some effect; it is under your control.

we selected a LONG column from a table (full scan, all rows) and watched the line with a LAN monitor. the blocks return to the PC essentially instantly from the host.

<flamethrower on>
i simply do not accept the oft-heard claim that "odbc is slow". this is b.s. the real problem is that odbc empowers programmers to access the host db directly, and also requires them to manage the pc's memory resources directly. this is probably where the inefficiency begins to show. <flamethrower off>

i am interested in other people's experiences with odbc implementations for comparitive purposes, esp with respect to oracle back-ends.

--
Dave Mausner / Sr Consultant / Datalogics division of Frame Technology Inc