Re: Error logs from within SQL

From: Joel Rosi-Schwartz <joel_at_abigale.UUCP>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1993 07:45:42 GMT

In article <PGS1002.93Oct16133052_at_apus.cus.cam.ac.uk> pgs1002_at_cus.cam.ac.uk (Dr P.G. Sjoerdsma) writes:

>Using Oracle to store a paleo-climatologic data I use Perl to write
>SQL programs to enter and update data, references to articles etc. I
>try to check all the data as much as possible but sometimes things go
>wrong, like for eaxmple a "'" in a person's name. Is there a way to
>let oracle write these mistakes to an error log?? At this moment there
>is no way fro me to see where it went wrong and so it's hard to change
>the checking programs.

I do not know how to solve your problem in SQL, but if you used Oraperl you can very easily trap select/insert/update (etc) problems and write the offending data out to a log. Even better you can easily FIX the data so it does not upset Oracle.

Cheers,
Joel

--
               T E C H N E   R E S E A R C H    L I M I T E D
          12 Waverley Way            +   Email: joel_at_filomena.UUCP