Re: database evaluation

From: Magnus Lycka <ml_at_mtek.chalmers.se>
Date: 16 Oct 93 17:01:06 GMT

jsv_at_tellabs.com (John Vasicek) writes:
:
: Anyhow, to get to the point, we are looking for an OBJECTIVE review of the
: latest releases of any of the aforementioned products. A head to head
: comparision would be great. Whether the source is one of the trade rags, or
: an independent research firm or just another private company that was already
: gone through the grind, doesn't matter.
:
The Swedish agency for administrative development made a survey of the costs for using client/server based RDBMSs. I only saw a short article about it, and I don't know if the relative pricing differs between countries. (I doubt that though.) The reason behind the survey is that a lot of authorities are leaving their main frame based systems for decentraliced client/server systems.

They had the following scenario, which spanned over 5 years.

Year 1	Develop system.
Year 2	Use system for a limited number of users.
Year 3	Use system with 200 users.
Year 4	Buy new computers to increase performance.
Year 5	Normal use.

The costs for the different systems that they predicted were as follows (in Swedish kronor, SEK 8.00 = US$ 1.00 (roughly)):

Product Licens Maintenance Sum

Informix	  536 000	379 000		  915 000
Ingres		  796 000	296 000		1 062 000
Oracle		1 828 000	930 000		2 757 000
Progress	  416 000	363 000		  779 000
Sybase		2 479 000	703 000		2 479 000

As far as I know, there were no performance tests in this survey. I guess the assumption was made that all these systems would suffice technically. Of course the report can be ordered from the agency, but hardly translated to English...

Good Luck

Magnus Lycka Received on Sat Oct 16 1993 - 18:01:06 CET

Original text of this message