database evaluation

From: John Vasicek <jsv_at_tellabs.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1993 22:10:32 GMT

We are in the planning stages of development for a new product. I volunteered to evaluate RDBMS packages. My first step was to contact the big four Unix RDBMS vendors - Oracle, Sybase, Ingres, Informix. This of course was my first mistake. I have been flooded which so much propoganda that I can no longer find the top of my desk.

Our needs for a RDBMS are pretty straight forward. We are primarily looking to use the database as a cache for a device which we will manage in real time. We need an embedded SQL interface which can be used within a C++ program. I believe all four players are now based on the client/server architecture which is just fine. However, all these other enterprise client/server features which allow access to all data (e.g. DB2, CICS etc.) in a heterogeneous environment does not apply to our application. The database must be ANSI SQL and provide and/or support report generation applications. As always, speed and pricing are a concern.

Our position is this: We have neither the time nor desire to do a full blown evaluation of 4 RDBMS, especially since we suspect other people have done so already. Our gut feel is that technically speaking, any of the four products would be adequate. There is probably a bias towards Oracle or Sybase based on market share.

Anyhow, to get to the point, we are looking for an OBJECTIVE review of the latest releases of any of the aforementioned products. A head to head comparision would be great. Whether the source is one of the trade rags, or an independent research firm or just another private company that was already gone through the grind, doesn't matter.

I posted this message to all four database forums. Please note that I am not soliciting personal opinions. Any help would be greatly apprecriated.

					John Vasicek
					jsv_at_tellabs.com