Re: Weird Indexname

From: Thomas Dwyer III <tomiii_at_mtu.edu>
Date: 14 Sep 1993 14:50:11 -0400

Andrew Finkenstadt (andy_at_vistachrome.com) wrote:
>>In article <CDAIoF.8nn_at_vtm.be>, gerrit_at_vtm.be writes

>Because you used "overriding text" marks, aka quotation marks.
>Any database object has a name which is, by default, made all
>upper case, UNLESS overridden by using "quotation marks" around
>the object name, at which point it can contain any character at
>all, including lower case, punctuation, and other wierdities.

I think the point is being missed here. The original poster was issuing SQL commands to SQL*PLUS via a here document (i.e. <<) and was surprised to see the double quotes surviving the shell.

e.g.

        sqlplus scott/tiger <<EOM

                Create index "agenda$alarmdate" on agenda(alarmdate);

	EOM

Because it's a here document, the double quotes (used in this case to keep the $ from getting interpreted) actually get passed through to SQL*PLUS instead of having the shell remove them. The solution (as was previously posted) is to escape the $ with a backslash.

Does this help or am I the one missing the point?

Cheers,
Tom.III
tomiii_at_mtu.edu Received on Tue Sep 14 1993 - 20:50:11 CEST

Original text of this message