Re: Weird Indexname

From: Andrew Finkenstadt <andy_at_vistachrome.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1993 16:52:39 GMT

>In article <CDAIoF.8nn_at_vtm.be>, gerrit_at_vtm.be writes
>|>
>|> Create index "agenda$alarmdate" on agenda(alarmdate);
>|>
>|> but anyway : why does this index gets created in lowercase ?

Because you used "overriding text" marks, aka quotation marks. Any database object has a name which is, by default, made all upper case, UNLESS overridden by using "quotation marks" around the object name, at which point it can contain any character at all, including lower case, punctuation, and other wierdities.

augie_at_helix.nih.gov (August Chiausa) writes:
>Interesting. I reproduced the same strangeness and it does in fact
>create a table_name in
>lower case. A good thing to know. Now here are two solutions to your
>problem. First, try
>create index agenda\$alarmdate on agenda(alarmdate);
>Augie

That will work as well. The \ protects the $ from interpretation by the shell. And the lack of quote marks makes the DB force it to upper case.

Andy

--
Andrew Finkenstadt  |  andy_at_{homes.com,vistachrome.com,genie.geis.com}
Systems Analyst     |  Vista-Chrome, Homes & Land Publishing Corporation
                    |  1600 Capital Circle SW, Tallahassee Florida 32310
+1 904-575-0189     |  GEnie Postmaster, Unix & Internet RoundTables Sysop