Re: Oracle7/Novell product set

From: Richard D Holowczak <holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu>
Date: 14 Sep 93 02:54:25 GMT

pberger_at_mach1.wlu.ca (paul berger) writes:

>I need some insight into how Oracle7 Server is bundled for Novell. We are a
>small team of developers very interested in running Oracle7 on the
>Novell version 4 platform.

>I would like to know specifically what product and versions of product
>ship with Oracle7 license for Novell 4.

   As far as I know, the two products have not been oficially released    together in a bundle. I just ordered and received Oracle 7 for    Netware which will run under Netware 3.11 and Netware 4.0.

   What you are waiting for is the "integrated" Oracle/Netware which    promises to have one combined user account for database and Novell.    This will require some programming effort on both sides and from    the press releases, they are working on it. No ship dates that I've    heard of (Please correct me if I'm wrong).

>- Are there procedural and distributed incarnations of the database?

    All Oracle database products have some distributed functionality.     As to procedural, if you mean the procedural SQL implementation,     yes PL/SQL is supported.

>- Does SQL*PLUS ship with this bundle, Pro*C, any tools, SQL*DBA Windows or
> PM versions?

  No tools, just the server SW and SQL*Net for SPX came with my   version 7 I just got. Oh yeah, there's also a nifty DBA   utility (not SQL*DBA) which runs under OS/2 PM. Not much of a   tool for end users but it has some really neat tricks.   The ability to rename a column is one of them.

>- Apparently SQL*Net version 1.1 ships with the product set. We are not
> very interested in this product rather version 2.0. Can a 'beta' version
> of 2.0 be used with the 'production' version Novell server?

   I imagine if you join Oracle's Beta release program then you may    be able to get a copy.

>- What protocol support ships with the bundle?

    The listener and SQL*NET are both SPX versions. SQL*Net comes     for DOS and the .DLLs for MS WIndows 3.1 (Enhanced mode finally!)

>Any futher comments are certainly welcome. Our Canadian Oracle sales rep
>has been unable to answer all of these questions.

>I would appreciate some feedback, perhaps from some of the 'big guns' at
>Oracle. We are anxious to purchase!

   I like the product a great deal. I've had to install both Netware    and several flavors of Unix Oracle. I think the Netware version is    much much easier. Log in as Supervisor and let it rip. None    of this complicated drawn out install scripts. Of course it is    just the server portion so perhaps the comparison isn't quite fair.    Sure is nice though having a slick menu driven install w/ on-line help.

>Thanking you in advance...
>PB

Just my humble opinions as always.

Rich Holowczak
Rutgers University
holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu Received on Tue Sep 14 1993 - 04:54:25 CEST

Original text of this message