Re: Oracle7/Novell product set

From: Tim Hyland <hyland_at_netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1993 07:53:00 GMT

holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu (Richard D Holowczak) writes:
> As far as I know, the two products have not been oficially released
> together in a bundle. I just ordered and received Oracle 7 for
> Netware which will run under Netware 3.11 and Netware 4.0.

> What you are waiting for is the "integrated" Oracle/Netware which
> promises to have one combined user account for database and Novell.
> This will require some programming effort on both sides and from
> the press releases, they are working on it. No ship dates that I've
> heard of (Please correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks for bringing that up, Rich. The OracleWare System -- NetWare Edition (there will also be a UnixWare Edition) is a joint product between Novell and Oracle. It will combine the network operating system, database server, and messaging software all on one CD-ROM to be sold through Novell's resellers. The complete product will be supported by Oracle's Technical Support centers.

The CD-ROM will contain:

	NetWare v3.12
		This is basically an upgrade to v3.11.  There is no
		real functionality change, but all those pesky patch
		modules have been rolled in to the base operating
		system.
	Oracle7 Server for NetWare v7.0.15
		The components of Oracle7 Server were described in my
		a modified SQL*Loader to load Btrieve files
		automatically and a common install utility to install
		the Oracle7 Server from the NetWare INSTALL.NLM.
	Oracle Office Server v2.0.8 for NetWare
		Oracle Office is the successor to Oracle*Mail, which
		combines messaging, scheduling, calendaring, and
		proofreading.
	Oracle Office Client v2.0.10 for Windows
	Oracle Glue v1.0 for Windows
		Oracle Glue is middleware for developing simple
		database applications using familiar Windows
		front-ends to access Oracle, ODBC, and flat file data.
	Oracle Book Runtime for Windows
		All Novell and Oracle documentation has been put
		online in Oracle Book.

The OracleWare System -- NetWare Edition is nearing completion and will be made available to Novell's distributors in mid- to late-October. A second release of the OracleWare System -- NetWare Edition based on NetWare v4.x will be released in the Spring of 1994.

I hope this information helps.

Tim Hyland
Senior Product Line Manger                Internet:
NetWare Product Line                      Business:  thyland_at_oracle.com
415.506.2857                              Personal:   hyland_at_netcom.com
No disclaimer: This *is* the official word of Oracle Corp. Received on Wed Sep 15 1993 - 09:53:00 CEST

Original text of this message