Re: Large deletes (Help)

From: Dean Money <moneyd_at_uh2372p03.DaytonOH.NCR.COM>
Date: 8 Sep 93 20:33:06 GMT

In article <CCoFv7.LBI_at_idm.com>, rmf_at_idm.com (Robert M Foley) says:
>Chip Graham (cgraham_at_convex.com) wrote:
>> In article <260cfe$9de_at_charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> dmoney_at_magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Dean R Money) writes:
>> One solution, not the best,(but I don't know that one), is:

>> create a new table as:
>> create table new_table as (select * from old_table
>> where .....[what you want to keep]);
>>
>> drop old_table.

>> create old_table as (select * from new_table);
>
>There is a rename table command that you can use instead of the create
>old_table.
>
>rename new_table to old_table.
>
>Don't forget to drop any indexes and create new ones.

Okay, this idea seems to work pretty well, except that I have a LONG datatype in one of my table columns. That really screws up the 'create table new_table as...' idea. Any suggestions for getting around this? Is there some easy way to convert the LONG columns, then convert them back?

Dean Money Received on Wed Sep 08 1993 - 22:33:06 CEST

Original text of this message