Re: IOUW93 Mail access to Internet. Was: Anyone going to IOUG in Orlando ?

From: Andrew Finkenstadt <andy_at_vistachrome.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1993 14:55:39 GMT

Tony Jambu writes some really good ideas about having Internet access from the IOUW Oracle*Mail terminals. Nothing technically prevents this from happening, but from my explorations of the Show-floor network and the private Oracle terminal server rooms (used to access RTSS while I was at the previous shows) they actually put the show network as a part of the oracle internal SECURE network. In order to permit outbound Internet access you would have to have Oracle open up their firewall to permit anonymous (in effect) internet access. I doubt they would do this.

Andy

PS - Orlando has local CompuServe, GEnie, SprintNet (and therefore AOL, NVN, Delphi, etc.) nodes.

--
Andrew Finkenstadt  |  andy_at_{homes.com,vistachrome.com,genie.geis.com}
Systems Analyst     |  Vista-Chrome, Homes & Land Publishing Corporation
                    |  1600 Capital Circle SW, Tallahassee Florida 32310
+1 904-575-0189     |  GEnie Postmaster, Unix & Internet RoundTables Sysop