Re: KEY-UP/KEY-DOWN triggers in Forms 3.0

From: Andrew Finkenstadt <andy_at_vistachrome.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1993 14:49:07 GMT

hazledine_at_embl-heidelberg.de writes:
>Yet I notice that when IAC is run with the -t option, to automatically add
>UP/DOWN triggers whenever PRVREC/NXTREC triggers are present, it adds one UP
>trigger for each PRVREC trigger and one DOWN trigger for each NXTREC trigger,
>even though a single pair of UP/DOWN triggers at form-level would seem to
>suffice.

Probably they do this so that you are AWARE of (by virtue of being reminded :-) the behaviour of the otherwise form-level trigger for UP/DOWN. This way, when you go to modify the trigger to do something neat, you won't inadvertantly forget to add in a previous-record invocation as well.

Depending on how FORMS is internally architectured, there might also be a performance tweak by having the UP/DOWN triggers at the current record-level scope instead of at the form-level scope. It would be, if my assumption is correct, even faster to have UP/DOWN triggers on each and every field. Record was probably a good compromise, as UP/DOWN in a multi-record block implies inter-row transfer.

>David Hazledine EMBL Data Library
>Database Administrator PF 10.2209
>EMBL Data Library 6900 Heidelberg, Germany
>Internet: Hazledine_at_EMBL-Heidelberg.DE

Andrew Finkenstadt  |  andy_at_{homes.com,vistachrome.com,genie.geis.com}
Systems Analyst     |  Vista-Chrome, Homes & Land Publishing Corporation
                    |  1600 Capital Circle SW, Tallahassee Florida 32310
+1 904-575-0189     |  GEnie Postmaster, Unix & Internet RoundTables Sysop