Re: IOUW93 Mail access to Internet. Was: Anyone going to IOUG in Orlando ?

From: Tony Jambu <aaj_at_cmutual.com.au>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1993 02:11:54 GMT

In article <CCqEsr.8Jx_at_vistachrome.com>, andy_at_vistachrome.com (Andrew Finkenstadt) writes:
> Tony Jambu writes some really good ideas about having Internet access
> from the IOUW Oracle*Mail terminals. Nothing technically prevents this
> from happening, but from my explorations of the Show-floor network and
> the private Oracle terminal server rooms (used to access RTSS while
> I was at the previous shows) they actually put the show network as a
> part of the oracle internal SECURE network. In order to permit outbound
> Internet access you would have to have Oracle open up their firewall
> to permit anonymous (in effect) internet access. I doubt they would
> do this.

What I was suggesting was a UUCP connection for incoming and out going emails ONLY, no ftp. This is very secure and does not pose a threat.

In fact, the Oracle Asia-Pacific User Conference 1993 in Australia is now planning to have it going. So I dont see why the IOUW93 couldn't do it as well?

ta
tony

--
 _____       ________ / ____ |Tony Jambu, Database Administrator
  /_  _        /_ __ /       |Colonial Mutual Invest Mgmt,Aust (ACN004021809)