Re: ORACLE and ACMS (client/server)

From: Joel Fedorko <jfedorko_at_ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1993 19:03:33 GMT

In article <248ble$7o6_at_hdxu03.telecom.ptt.nl> you write:

|> Hello,
|>
|> We are working on a VAX/VMS platform with an ACMS application. We are planning
|> to use this application on a client machine to connect to an ORACLE database
|> on a server machine.
|> I would like some answers on the following questions :
|>
|> 1. Is there anyone who has some experience in this area ?

         Not specifically with ACMS (it's been about 6 years since my ACMS days)

|> 2. How can this be done ?

        I believe using 3/gl pre-compiled code (again it's been awhile since ACMS)

|> 3. What communication protocol should we use to get the best performance ?

        SQL*Net with TCP/IP is probably best

|> 4. What do we need to do on the server (ORACLE) machine ?

        In a nutshell .... If the server is already setup, not much get users setup
        create your'e database, get security in place etc.  If you're using SQL*Net
        Version 2 there may be some network setup involved but not much.

|> 5. Is SQL*Net neccesary ?

	Yes, and desireable.... it does alot of work for you and makes
	things protocol independent.

|> 6. Do we need RdBAccess ?

	No.  Last time I checked it requires SQL*Net anyway and  it will
	degrade performance.

|> 7. Can we use TCP/IP or VMS mailboxes ?

	Yes, in fact you can use both at the same time....Mailboxes when
	your'e on the server and TCP/IP for remotes.

|> Thanks in advance
|>

|> Peter.

|> Internet: roo%ptt-iat_at_nluug.nl

Std Disclaimers apply. Hope this helps.

Happy Computing.

  • -Joel -- Joel Fedorko Remember Bit Hopper, Sr. Consultant You must become one with the machine. Day Data It's not the easy way, it's the cowboy way. jfedorko_at_ncsa.uiuc.edu Any opinions I express will be ignored.