Re: Oracle Products?

From: paul berger <pberger_at_mach1.wlu.ca>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1993 23:56:42 GMT

In article <22plulINNaj9_at_owl.csrv.uidaho.edu> flock_at_crow.csrv.uidaho.edu (Fred Lock) writes:

>Our university has just obtained a site license for Oracle products. The
>following list details what is available with this license. I am
>completely unfamiliar with Oracle so I do not know anything about these
>items. Would someone post a one or two line description of the function of
>these items?
>
>Thank you.
>
>Oracle7
>distributed option
>procedural option
>SQL*Forms/Menu
>SQL*Reportwrite
>Data Query
>SQL*Plus
>SQL*Net
>123 DataLens
>Pro*C
>Pro*Cobol
>Pro*Fortran
>Pro*Pascal
>TCP/IP
>SPX/IPX
>Case Tools Client Bundle
>Oracle Card-Developer
>Oracle for Windows;
> DDE Manager/C
> Toolbook Interface
>Oracle-Runtime
>

>=====================================
>= Fred J. Lock =
>= University of Idaho =
>= Mechanical Engineering Department =
>= internet: flock_at_uidaho.edu =
>=====================================

Well here is one persons perspective:

Oracle7 - this is Oracle's Relational Database product which runs on many

            operating systems platforms.  It is robust, complex, and
            definitly serious stuff.

distributed option    - Oracle runs on multiple platforms.  Though the
                        database may be distributed across multiple hardware
                        platforms it can be viewed logically as one entity.

procedural option     - Oracle is bundled in a number of different ways.  The
                        procedural option allows programmers to create
                        programatic constructs that may be executed against
                        the database.

SQL*Forms/Menu   -  these next three items are some of Oracle's tools that
SQL*Reportwrite     facilitate professional software development.  Other third
                    party tools exist too.
Data Query       -  ? you got me on this one.
SQL*Plus         -  this tool allows users and coders alike to query and
                    update the Oracle database.
SQL*Net          -  this is networking interface software that allows client
                    server software to communicate.
123 DataLens     -  data can be interchanged between Oracle and Lotus 123.
Pro*C            -  the programatic "C" interface combines the Oracle
                    relational database and the "C" language...loosely
                    speaking.  (The same applies to Pro*Cobol, Fortran, and
                    Pascal.)
Pro*Cobol

Pro*Fortran
Pro*Pascal
TCP/IP           -  TCP/IP stands for transmission control protocol/
                    Internet protocol.  Generally Unix computers run on
                    an ethernet using this communications protocol.
SPX/IPX          -  This is Novell's proprietary network protocol for linking
                    micro-computers...generally.
Case Tools Client Bundle - professional life cycle development software... Oracle Card-Developer - this is a windows based software development
                         package.  It is difficult to learn.
Oracle for Windows; - I'll let you track these next three.

   DDE Manager/C
   Toolbook Interface
Oracle-Runtime - This is Oracle software that allows the executables to

                     run without having the full blown licence on each
                     computer.

Would you by chance be looking for professional expertise? (I jest!) Seriously though, you sure have a lot of work ahead of you...lots of reading too. (If you are looking for genuine consulting keep us in mind. We can be reached at 519-747-4000.)

Good luck! Received on Mon Jul 26 1993 - 01:56:42 CEST

Original text of this message