Re: Oracle Products?

From: Dennis Moore <dbmoore_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1993 00:35:18 GMT

In article <CAqvuJ.9uH_at_mach1.wlu.ca> pberger_at_mach1.wlu.ca (paul berger) writes:
>In article <22plulINNaj9_at_owl.csrv.uidaho.edu> flock_at_crow.csrv.uidaho.edu (Fred Lock) writes:

snip ...

>SQL*Forms/Menu - these next three items are some of Oracle's tools that

The next version on your platform will (probably) be Oracle Forms 4.

>SQL*Reportwrite facilitate professional software development. Other third
> party tools exist too.

Ditto, Oracle Reports 2. Note that third party tools exist in all categories, but you would be hard pressed to find *any* reporting tool for developers better than Oracle Reports 2 (now production on Windows, although not available in shipping yet).

>Data Query - ? you got me on this one.

Oracle Data Query 3.x is currently a character-mode end-user query and reporting tool. We also have Oracle Data Browser, a great graphical end-user query and reporting tool.

snip ...

>Oracle Card-Developer - this is a windows based software development
> package. It is difficult to learn.

Oracle Card is actually quite easy to learn (in my experience). It is *VERY* similar in syntax and capabilities to HyperCard, Spinnaker Plus, and Asymetrix ToolBook, with the exception that it has lots of great bundled functionality. This extra functionality is primarily (but not limited to) database integration, end-user querying, and application generation without programming.

>Oracle for Windows; - I'll let you track these next three.
> DDE Manager/C

An interface to our database using DDE -- on Windows, a way for apps like a spreadsheet to get data from our database. Glue is much better, incidentally.

> Toolbook Interface

An interface that enhances Asymetrix ToolBook to integrate it with our database.

snip ...

>Good luck!

Ditto.

  • Dennis Moore, my own opinions, etcetcetc