Re: Introduction Screen

From: Paul K C Narth <pnarth_at_axion.bt.co.uk>
Date: 22 Jul 1993 11:22:12 GMT

Hi!

If my understanding of what you require is correct, then the answer is that you can!

Basically, do as you stated: create a form, then call the menu from this form.

This is done as follows. Create the form, and under the foRm menu, select modify. Specify the name of your menu application as the Default Menu Application and specify the Starting Menu Name (usually the same to run the menu without the form). Then, in a trigger (I used KEY-NXTFLD as users have to hit RETURN to continue), put

		 replace_menu('your_menu_name_here',FULL_SCREEN);
 		 set_input_focus(menu);             ^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                                               the menu type

(the second line makes the menu active, I believe.)
Et voila, you get a welcome screen, followed by a menu!

However.... (that was too easy, wasn't it!) If your menu calls other forms and you've done this by making menu options of command type 4, you will get an error - "Can't call SQL*Forms from SQL*Forms".

Solution. Make the option of command type 7 (PL/SQL), and write as the text:

          CALL('the_form_name');
          set_input_focus(menu);

This gives you the flexibility of calling a form in query-only mode, as can use the procedure CALL_QUERY(.....

Oh, one other thing, you might want to provide an option to Exit System, which
(again of type 7, PL/SQL) says

    exit_form;

Pressing KEY-EXIT in the menu will return you back to the calling form (ie the Welcome screen), and it would be necessary to press exit again to quit completey

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Paul

/******************************************************************************/
Paul Narth          pnarth_at_axion.bt.co.uk / cs90pkn_at_brunel.ac.uk

Ipswich Engineering Centre      |    Dept. of Computer Science
B81 G61                         |    Brunel University
BT Labs                         |    Uxbridge
Martlesham Heath                |    Middlesex
Ipswich, Suffolk                |    England, UK
England, UK                     |    UB8 3PH
IP5 7RE
0473 640746 / +44 473 640746