Re: Introduction Screen

From: Ian Dixon <uidixon!idixon_at_infocom.co.uk>
Date: 22 Jul 93 22:06:35 GMT

In <1993Jul21.161520.679_at_condor.navsses.navy.mil> huynh_at_condor.navsses.navy.mil writes:
>Hi all,

>I have what I think a simple problem, and I hope someone will take the time
>to help me out. Okay, here is the problem. The project I am working on
>requires many menus (main menu & submenus). To me, SQLMENU would be the
>easiest and most efficient application for this, right? Now, the users want
>something like an introduction screen [WELCOME ...] before the menus. How
>am I going to do this because SQLMENU automatically put you to its menu screen
>one you run it.

>I had an idea to paint the screen in SQLFORMS and then call SQLMENU, but I
>don't think I am allow to do that?

>I know the solution is simple, but I just don't have the experience to figure
>this out. Please help out the novice. Thanks in advance.

If you just want the opening screen to appear when the user first runs the menu then I think the simplest way would be to use a batch file, shell script or whatever is appropriate for your OS.

I'm using Forms and Menu on a PC at the moment so here you might have a batch file which is something like:

   _at_echo off
   type welcome.scn
   pause
   runmenu your_sys

welcome.scn is a file that contains whatever you want the user to see.

The commands may not be quite right (I'm at home, Oracle is at work) but I hope you get the idea.

Hope this helps

Ian

Ian Dixon                       Email : idixon_at_infocom.co.uk
Reading, England